Tamworth 3 Woking 1

Struggling Tamworth came from a goal down to record a vital victory at The Lamb.

Steve Ferguson fired the visitors in front in a pulsating start to the game but two goals in four minutes midway through the first half from John McGrath and Darryl Taylor put the Lambs in command.

Steve Burton's late strike put the gloss on a fine win after keeper Jose Veiga had made several good second-half saves for the home side.

Tamworth made two changes to the side which enjoyed a last minute FA Cup victory over local rivals Burton Albion last Saturday.

Barnsley midfielder Simon Heslop made his debut after signing an emergency loan deal at The Lamb. He replaced Tom Kemp, whose loan from Lincoln City came to an end.

Burton also earned a starting place, replacing Matt Williams.

Woking also made two changes from the side which lost to Tranmere Rovers. Matt Ruby came in for Guiseppe Sole and Steve Evans replaced Gary MacDonald.

Lambs goalkeeper Veiga was called into action in the first minute pushing a dipping Ollie Berquez strike over the bar.

In a lively start, Taiwo Atieno flashed a header just wide for the home side but it was Woking who took the lead in the third minute when Ferguson fired a low shot from the edge of the penalty into the far corner of the net.

The home side gradually started to recover from their nightmare start and the impressive Atieno flashed a powerful shot just wide from 20 yards out.

Tamworth levelled the scoring on 17 minutes. Heslop won a header in the middle of the park and found McGrath who burst forward and saw his lobbed shot from 20 yards take a slight deflection which completely deceived Shwan Jalal in the Woking goal.

The Lambs capped a fine comeback four minutes later as Atieno whipped in a cross from the right and the unmarked Taylor headed home from six yards out.

The stunned visitors probed for an equaliser and Ferguson saw a shot deflected wide for a corner.

The woodwork came to Woking's rescue on 41 minutes as Burton, who had been largely ineffectual in the first half, raced forward and fired a 30-yard shot against the bar.

The visitors should have levelled six minutes into the second half as Ferguson crossed for Craig McAllister who fired wide with the goal at his mercy.

McAllister had another good chance to level the scores on 56 minutes but took to long over his shot and Veiga did well to save at his feet.

Woking looked dangerous and twice in a minute came close to a second goal only to be denied by Veiga as he saved close-range headers from Ferguson and Steve Evans.

Atieno continued to cause problems for the Woking defence and fired wide of the far post after working his way into a good position down the left.

Former Walsall striker Atieno went close again on 74 minutes but saw his goalbound shot blocked by Neil Smith after collecting a neat flick on from Burton.

Substitute Matt Williams headed just over from a McGrath corner as Tamworth looked the more likely to add to their tally in the latter stages.

The visitors stepped up the pressure but, despite the occasional scare, Tamworth's defenders stifled the Woking attacks and secured victory in the final minute as Atieno released Burton, who beat the offside trap and coolly slotted past Jalal.