Stevenage Borough 3 Woking 2

Stevenage Borough triumphed in a high-octane clash against Woking after scoring a dramatic winner in the final seconds.

And the win was made all the sweeter for the home side as they beat their bitter rivals despite falling 2-1 down with just 10 minutes remaining.

With passions high a good start was always essential in this clash and Stevenage fans were in dreamland when they saw their side take the lead with just five minutes gone on the clock.

A free-kick on the left in a promising position was turned into a racing certainty by Steve Guppy as he fired over a pinpoint cross which Dwayne Lee guided into the net with an unstoppable header.

Woking, buoyed by their vociferous away support, looked for a way back into the contest but, although Craig McAllister and Daniel Bunce had efforts on goal, home keeper Alan Juilan wasn't troubled.

With a new found solidity at the back, Stevenage supporters will have been even more infuriated when Woking pulled level on 16 minutes through the strangest of strikes.

A free-kick on the edge of the box following a foul on Goma Lambu still left Karl Murray with plenty to do, but he drilled in a long-range low strike which seemed to go through the wall and evaded the despairing dive of Julian as it nestled in the far left-hand corner of the net.

George Boyd looked to put Boro back ahead with an effort a minute after the leveller, but he wasted his chance and it was the Cards who appeared to grow in confidence.

Guiseppe Sole saw a shot deflected wide, while former Stevenage man Ollie Berquez drilled one over as Woking gave as good as they got.

Stevenage, though, ended the first half having had the better chances and twice it looked as though they would find the net.

Mark Beard had the home support cheering prematurely when his guided header looked to have gone in but was in fact deflected just wide, while Ronnie Henry connected with a Guppy corner from close range and forced a stunning point-blank reaction save from Shwan Jalal.

Stevenage came out of the blocks early for the second period as they built up a catalogue of wasted chances.

Boyd guided a header wide on 51 minutes, while Steve Morison came closer and closer to finding the net with two headers across the face of goal.

Woking, to their credit, absorbed the pressure and posed a threat through Sole and late substitute Steve Ferguson.

But the Cards had literally just one shot on target when they stunned the home support by taking the lead on 80 minutes.

Former Boro man Berquez drilled a shot against Barry Fuller before driving home the ball from close range in front of the delirious visiting support.

With an unlikely win looming, Woking pressed the self-destruct button and conceded a leveller on 84 minutes when Murray inexplicably handled in his own area.

John Nutter stepped forward to drill the penalty down the centre of the goal.

Delighted with the equaliser, Boro fans could not have dreamt of what was to follow as, in the dying seconds of four minutes of added time, Morison cut down the left flank and fired over a cross which Craig Dobson rose to head in.

Dobson was booked for taking off his shirt in celebration, but it was a yellow card which will have been the most welcome at Broadhall Way this season.